Christmas Sweater #18

This is a glorious Christmas sweater. Notice the rocking horse which makes it kid friendly. The designer also had the foresight to include a “NOEL” on the sweater lest you jump to conclusions and think this was an ordinary red sweater.  (Best caption in the comments section wins some sort of prize).

QUESTION: What’s better than wearing Absolutely Fabulous Christmas sweaters for the entire month of December?

ANSWER: Wearing Absolutely Fabulous Christmas sweaters for the entire month of December AND raising awareness and money for a community driven non-profit.

ANNOUNCEMENT: It was recently recommended to me by Grace Rodriguez of AYN Brand (http://aynbrand.com, @gracerodriguez) that I utilize the Christmas sweater project to raise awareness and donations for a local non-profit. Last weekend at the Coffee Groundz meetup I was fortunate enough to meet Terry Seufert (http://goodwillhouston.org, @houstongoodwill) of Houston Goodwill Industries. Thanks to the advice from Grace and the brokering from Terry, I’ve partnered with Goodwill Industries of Houston for the remainder of the month to highlight their services and contribution to the Houston community. Goodwill’s thrusts include programs that empower people to develop a sense of self-worth and independence, resulting in quality placements in community employment and greater personal success. This is a cause and a theme running through the community educational programs that Ned and I are attempting at Caroline so it is only fitting to help raise awareness for a group contributing to the Houston community in so many important ways.

Goodwill has been kind enough to donate sweaters for the rest of the month and each day’s sweater will include a focus on one aspect which demonstrates Goodwill’s importance to the community by providing jobs, training and education. Please join me in thanking Goodwill for their contribution of sweaters and aid to the greater community. It is our hope that wearing Christmas sweaters will lead to something greater than just amusement, hopefully some donations to Goodwill in the form of financial contributions, clothing or increased volunteerism.

To make a financial contribution, please click the Chipin widget to the right or click below.

To volunteer with Houston Goodwill please visit their volunteer page here or call: 713-699-6338

To donate goods to Goodwill please visit their donations page.

8 Comments

1. Kittydew

Wow… just, wow.

Posted December 18, 2008 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

2. That is indeed a glorious sweater. I love that you have found a way to turn this into benefit for the greater good (well, more than just the greater good of seeing awesome Christmas sweaters).

Posted December 18, 2008 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

3. Now you really look like a teacher in that sweater!

Great cause! I’ll pitch in!

Posted December 18, 2008 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

4. Amazing! Way to go Terry… and Matt, truly love seeing people reach out to the non-profits. Sweaters included, you’re still a good dude.

Posted December 18, 2008 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

5. This sweater reminds me of the song that says no country song is complete without reference to mama or trucks or prison or getting drunk.

While this sweater seems complete, it has no Santa or candy canes or Baby Jeeesus or Rudolf.

However, the sweater does sort of make me want to get drunk, crank up the truck, drive to the T. C. Jester unit and say hi to mama.

Posted December 19, 2008 at 9:27 am | Permalink

6. matthew

Marie – If there was a way to favorite that comment it would have a huge gold star next to it.

Posted December 19, 2008 at 9:34 am | Permalink

7. robin

My mother has a closet full of these sweaters I am sure you would glady lend you to help out. The two best are missing though, since I took them for various “sweater” outings in Austin.

this is awesome by the way – i am glad your project has become “Better” with good will … i mean Goodwill.

Posted December 19, 2008 at 10:51 am | Permalink

8. You are so special. I’m glad I know you.

Posted December 19, 2008 at 11:08 am | Permalink

One Trackback

1. [...] This in itself is pure excellence. To top it off, though, now the Houston Chronicle has done an article on the sweater saga. And for the piece de resistance, Matt has found a way to use his sweaterly powers for good, to raise money for Houston Goodwill. [...]