This last weekend during Caroline Collective’s anniversary party, while we were celebrating one year of helping the community and striving to improve conditions in Houston’s cultural and technological landscap, someone stole my laptop. My. laptop. The co-founder of Caroline Collective’s laptop. This laptop was sitting next to Grace Rodriguez‘s (who provides a great deal of CC’s mindshare) and Ned Dodington‘s (the other co-founder of CC). Additionally, Grace’s wallet was in plain view, yet, they chose to steal my laptop, clearly identifiable because it’s covered in stickers. The culprit also made off with a flip camera. Whatever. For a picture of my laptop and more information, please go to the Caroline Collective site here.

In the wake of this utterly disappointing situation the feelings running through my body were pain, discomfort and remorse. Kind of like getting an STD.

Other reasons why having your laptop stolen are like getting an STD:

• Having your laptop stolen and getting an STD are both preventable
  • People warn you all the time about having your laptop stolen or getting an STD
  • They sell things that prevent your laptop from being stolen and you from getting an STD
  • Having your laptop stolen and getting an STD are both more likely to happen when you utter the words ‘it’ll be ok just this one time’
  • Having your laptop stolen and getting an STD can both be costly to remedy
  • Having your laptop stolen and getting an STD can have a lasting effect long after the symptoms go away
  • You ponder what you’ve lost and how you’ll recover when your laptop is stolen or you get an STD
  • Having your laptop stolen and getting an STD both require you to call up people you never want to speak to again warning them they might want to go to the doctor or change their business’ passwords
  • You think of all the foolish things you’ve done in the past when your laptop is stolen or you get an STD
  • Having your laptop stolen or getting an STD makes you angry at the person that put you in this position
  • Having your laptop stolen is like getting an STD except your stolen laptop doesn’t itch, burn or erupt
  • Having your laptop stolen or getting an STD can be the result of a long night of drinking
  • Having your laptop stolen and  getting an STD both can be discovered after it’s too late
  • Having your laptop stolen and getting an STD are similar except stolen laptops can affect gentiles too

From the Community:

• Having your laptop stolen and getting an STD both result in a huge loss of trust (hat tip @photine for coming up with this. Thanks!)

What are some other ways in which having your laptop stolen and getting an STD are similar?

This week is Stolen Laptop Week: come back tomorrow where you’ll learn how to prevent your laptop from being stolen in the first place and receive a list of some prophylactic services/programs that prepare you in the case of theft.

11 Comments

1. I find it utterly atrocious that someone would steal from you at your one year anniversary. The anniversary to celebrate the goodness that you and Caroline Collective bring to this community.

I really hope whoever stole it feels like a steaming pile of shit because that is what they are

Posted June 15, 2009 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

2. I’m really sorry this happened. It is so hard to imagine that anyone involved with the celebration of Caroline would do this. I’m guessing there is a loss of trust both in the loss of the laptop AND an STD.

Posted June 15, 2009 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

3. matthew

Thanks for the comment, Laurie and also great job coming up with another way that the two things are similar! You’re right, this was a huge breach of trust and very disappointing for all of us. It is good to know however that there is no security issue, simply someone with a problem with me.

Posted June 15, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

4. matthew

Thanks Jason for the strong words that I’m of course thinking but am trying to stay positive and move beyond.

Posted June 15, 2009 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

5. I’m still in shock. I can’t believe that someone took your laptop. It’s just so fucked up.

Posted June 15, 2009 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

6. This is simply put very sad. Maybe we should all keep an eye out on CL? People who pull something off like this don’t seem to be the brightest lights on the tree.

See it as a positive learning experience and the opportunity to finally get a laptop that has a nice fruity logo on the lid *hint* ;)

Hope you had backups of the data.

Posted June 15, 2009 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

7. wait a second – how/when did you draw this parallel? is there something MORE you’re not telling us? j/k

one more parallel to add: You can soften the blow (so to speak) of having your laptop stolen or getting an STD by just. backing. up. as far back as possible.

* zrrbrrt *

Posted June 15, 2009 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

8. Sorry to hear about the loss of your laptop. Like the comparisons you have between laptop theft and STDs.

I read with interest about potential ways of protecting your device. If I may point you to a solution I work with.. http://www.backstopp.com gives you peace of mind that the personal information and operating system are rendered useless in the event of theft.

Let me know if you fancy a chat about it?

Posted June 16, 2009 at 4:31 am | Permalink

9. matthew

Shawzilla: Yes, of all nights for this to happen, our anniversary party is simply the most offensive.

Michael: We’ve been monitoring CraigsList but haven’t turned up anything yet. We are assuming that it’s gone at this point and I’m trying to remain productive.

Grace: :P

Posted June 17, 2009 at 6:53 am | Permalink

10. matthew

Warren, thanks for the tip about BackStopp, I’ve included it into Day 2′s post: Preventing Laptop Theft

Posted June 17, 2009 at 6:58 am | Permalink

11. Man, that is such a sick feeling to go through. I lost three laptops (and two cameras) in a 60-day period in summer of 2007, so I can really relate.

Since then I have definately been a fan and advocate of safe hex, including ecryption for when my laptop ends up in the wrong hands….

May it be found and may you soon recover the data and the feeling of being able to relax.

Posted June 17, 2009 at 9:11 am | Permalink